Grade Level/Subject Area:
Fifth Grade/ Earth Science
5ES4.b Earth Sciences Students know the influence that the ocean has on the weather and the role that the water cycle plays in weather patterns.
5ES4.c Earth Sciences Students know the causes and effects of different types of severe weather.
- Students will gain an intermediate understanding of the formation of tornadoes.
- Students know the causes and effects of different types of severe weather. California State Standard 5ES4.c
- Students will gain an intermediate understanding of how air moves
- Students will gain an intermediate understanding of what air masses are.
- Students will gain an intermediate understanding of what causes severe weather.
- Students will learn how to be safe when encountering a tornado.
- Text can be read, using a variety of reader applications.
- All photos are tagged with text.
- Video has entire script of dialog included.
- Teacher administers quiz, provided on Tornado web page.
- Teacher keeps assessment log, to monitor student’s participation and understanding.
- Computer workstations, enough for each student, or as need for pairs or teams.
- High speed internet access.
- Review computer lab rules and expectations of behavior prior to entering the lab.
- Make sure students understand expected behavior, and consequences for not following computer lab rules.
- While students are working in lab, teacher carries clipboard with behavior and participation log. Making entries on the form reminds students that the teacher is constantly monitoring and noting behavior and participation, which effects student grade.
Direct, Guided and Independent Practice
Anticipatory Set (approximate time): 10 minutes
- Discuss student’s prior knowledge of tornadoes.
- Discuss student’s prior of how tornadoes are formed, and where they most often form.
- Briefly introduce objectives of lesson, that students will learn how tornadoes are formed.
- Briefly introduce how students will learn how to be safe in a tornado.
Direct Instruction (approximate time): 15 minutes
- Show students the tornado page located on severe weather unit web site.
- Explain key objectives of this page; read, watch video, take quiz.
- Demonstrate navigation on tornado page.
Guided Practice (approximate time): 20 minutes
- Have students explore page in computer lab, each on their own computer (or with a partner if needed).
- Teacher circulates through the lab, answering questions about navigation and answering assignment questions.
Closure (approximate time): 10 minutes
- Reinforce learning objectives; how tornadoes form, and how to be safe in a tornado.
- Address and concerns that students have as a group.
- Students work at their workstations, either individually, or in pairs or groups.
Photograph by: Ctd 2005 (Attribution License)